Scanning through several pages and platforms on social media, it became obvious that some prominent sons of Urhobo nation, who are essentially chieftains of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, may soon declare their 2023 governorship ambitions.
There are groups already springing up, tending to show that all is almost set for the contenders to file out in grand style. From all indications, the race will attract some heavyweight politicians with aristocratic dignity, super technocrats and seasoned law makers.
Quickly let me take you through the names making the rounds on social media and those discussed extensively in town hall meetings across the eight local government areas that constitutes Delta Central Senatorial District:
1. RT. HON SHERIFF OBOREVWORI; He is an astute politician, a core system player, philanthropist and the Honourable Speaker of the Delta State House of Assembly. He hails from Osubi, Okpe Local Government Area of Delta State, happily married with children. Rumours have it that he’s under pressure from associates and supporters to run in 2023, for the office of governor of Delta State.
2. OLOROGUN DAVID EDEVBIE; He is a financial guru, a thorough breed technocrat, 2015 governorship aspirant, former Commissioner of Finance in Delta State, and serving Chief of Staff to the Governor of Delta State. He has extensive banking experience in UK, alumnus of Harvard Business School and former Principal Secretary to President Musa Yaradua of blessed memory. Edevbie is a system player and knows the workings of government a great deal. His name rings a bell in government circles. He hails from Afiesere in Ughelli North Local Government Area of Delta State. He is happily married with children. His political associates and supporters are said to be urging him to join the race for the office of Governor of Delta State.
3. HON PETER MRAKPOR, SAN; He hails from Ughelli South Local Government Area of Delta State. A legal luminary, Senior Advocate of Nigeria, SAN, and serving Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Delta State. A prominent political leader in Ughelli South, Mrakpor is easy going and many described him as a humble and charming personality. He is a system player and Chairman, College of Commissioners in the State Executive Council. A superb legal draftsman and a member of the Body of Benchers. He is happily married with children. His friends, political associates and a group of Lawyers in politics are said to be mounting pressure on him to run for the office of Governor of Delta State.
4. RT. HON FESTUS OVIE AGAS; He is the immediate past Secretary to Delta State Government, a Barrister at Law, former member, Delta State House of Assembly, and was Director General of Governor Okowa Campaign in 2015. He is a system player and one of the outstanding political leaders in Ughelli North Local Government Area of Delta State. Agas knows the workings of government and described by political analysts and government insiders as a detribalised public servant and a consummate leader. He is a serving Chief Strategist to the Governor of Delta State, happily married with wife and children. There are strong indications that he is under pressure to join the race for the office of Governor of Delta State.
4. CHIEF JAMES AUGOYE; His is one of the prominent sons of Okpe Kingdom in Okpe Local Government Area of Delta State. A serving Honourable Commissioner for Works, astute politician, easy going, humble and a system player. He has solid track records in the first tenure as HC Works, which was why the Governor reappointed him for the same office in 2019. His political pressure groups are already flooding the social media, urging him to join the race for the office of Governor of Delta State. He is happily married with children.
5. OLOROGUN KENNETH GBAGI; He is a businessman, a lawyer and former Federal Minister of State for Education. He is said to be one of the founding members of PDP in Delta State, and fired his first shot to become Governor in 1999, and lost. He declared his intention to run several months ago. Gbagi’s ministerial appointment was short lived, and now want to take a second shot at the Government House in 2023. He hails from Oginibo Community in Ughelli South Local Government Area of Delta State. He is happily married with children.
The above named prominent sons of Urhobo nation in Delta Central Senatorial District are the ones trending on social media and in peer groups political discuss across the state. More names may surface as the 2023 political rhythms hots up.
Other aspirants may soon rock the political airwaves in the coming days, weeks and months. This is expected, it is right of all qualified and eligible citizens to aspire for any political or public office, but the delegates will decide on where the pendulum swings.
Power rotation is a big deal in PDP family internal arrangements. It is hoped that at the end of the day one of the above mentioned stakeholders may emerge as PDP gubernatorial flag bearer in 2023.
Good luck to all, including those listed above and others that may surface as we navigate into 2023 governorship election in Delta State.